Thursday, October 28, 2010

DIY suspension

IT'S ALIVE BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
                              


For less the than 1/4 of the price of the big name suspension trainer I made my own. I'll list below the items I used and the how to put it together. I've used it several times and like it more each time. So the list of materials if I do this right will have a link to amazon to purchase the items. I am green to all this so if it doesn't work I'll try and try again till I get it right. I'm also going to say everything I used was not suggested to be used on human weight so I'm not saying this is safe, but I'm using it :)

1) Cambuckle Tie downs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X1YUZC?ie=UTF8&tag=tammbl-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000X1YUZC">Cambuckle

2) Tie down extensions
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039LFKUC?ie=UTF8&tag=tammbl-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0039LFKUC">Tie


3) A carabiner able to hold way more than the weight being lifted


4) 2 pcs of 1" PVC that are cut to 6"


5) A mount point to hang the kit from


How I put all this together.

Feed the unhooked end of the cambuckle line through the cambuckle. Pull it back through the back of the cambuckle and loop it back through the loop on the bottom of the hook on the long length of the cambuckle line. You should be able to see that on the above pic.

I cut 2 of the cambuckles down to 6' in length. Then I burned the ends on the cut pieces as well as the 6' lengths so they would not fray.

First I threaded one end of the tie down extension to the main length of one of the cambuckles. Next one of the 1" PVC pipes gets threaded on and the other end of the tie down extension behind the PVC pipe piece.
It should look like the pic above.

Using a Bowline knot to tie off the main length of the cambuckle line. Below is a link on how to tie a bowline knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIdsTZTUl6E

Repeat the above steps to the other 6' length of cambuckle line.

Use the carabiner and hook the two short cambuckle ends through it.



I then used a bowline knot on both ends of the 4' pieces of line to make extensions or whatever I may need them for. I also used an attachment hoop from the horse tackle section from my local hardware store for an me to hook the carabiner into.  I could have used any other method just that worked best for me. I just made certain once again it would support way more weight than I would be putting on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment